Hiring People for Excellence
As a senior leader, one of the great joys in life is to watch someone you’ve hired, blossom in their role, become a high-performer, advance their career and motivate other colleagues to similar performance. The opposite is very painful! This quiz will get you thinking about your practices in recruiting terrific talent.
Q 1 When recruiting, do you see each opportunity as one to “power-build” the organization for the future? Do you:
- Update the Job Description with a future focus?
- Clarify competencies, experience, knowledge attributes desired forward (vs. the same as past)?
- Identify personality dynamics for “fit” and advancement of the team?
- Frame the job opportunity as one to “add-value” to clients and the organization – and set these expectations from the start – in Job Ad, early interview Q’s, Follow-up proposal from short-listed candidates?
Q 2 Non-misleading Hiring Process
- There’s no point in candidates OR you the recruiter trying to falsify expectations, capabilities or potential. 6 months from now, failure hurts both sides!
- So, do you encourage this realistic approach?
Q 3 Internal Candidates – Do you:
- Discuss what it will be like to Step-Up to a new level of
- Encourage internal candidates to basically “do the job” (if possible) for a few months before actually promoting them?
- “Acting” position
- Increased responsibilities assignment with clarity of expectations/reward
Q 4 Behavioural Interviewing is a fundamental technique these days, but surprisingly still not universally practiced.
- When reviewing past responsibilities off resume or application, do you ask them to recount how they:
- Handled a problem/opportunity
- Explain their learning from incidents/projects/initiatives
- Ask them to explain how they might handle common actions or challenges or decision-making related to the new job?
Q 5 When accepting a new job, almost everyone will need to learn some new things. Do you discuss:
- What things they think they will need to learn to succeed in the job?
- The type/area(s) of support from you/supervisor?
- 100-day Plan for entering the job and early accomplishments?